Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Nearly time to greet Britain


I'm writing a quick little post, before I get caught up in plans with travels and such and forget all other things. This week is getting progressively Chrismassy/end-of-term/holiday-goodbyes, and less academic. I'm trying to still get a bit of work done before I fly back!

The snow here is lyrical. Its like God is a child with a pot of icing sugar, shaking and shaking until at some point the lid comes off and it all falls out in a rush, and the pot needs to be refilled again. I returned to a neat cone of the stuff swept up prettily to our front door last night, and if you touch it its like candyfloss, sticking to your your hands but then condensing to a solid ball, then the soaking wetness of melted icicles chills your hands and washes them fresh. Last night felt particularly like a glittery snowball, the snow particles were so tiny and like ice - like what you get from scraping a freezer out. Very pretty indeed, and hopefully not too much of a hinderance (not yet).

I've pretty much got my Christmas shopping done, almost, and hopefully it will all fit! Come on, I have check-in luggage as well as hand luggage, it has to. Events like a friend's English-practice Love Actually evening, breakfast out with my flatmate (thank you mum and dad!), "how to write Hausarbeit" talk with Gluehwein and Stollen, and a language course outing to a cute trendy russian bar, all have helped me feel I'm entering holiday season. Last few days! Shopping, wrapping, work, season's greetings and goodbyes, boyfriend's birthday (and a friend's for that matter), boarding passes, packing... pray the Sunday travels will be complication free.
Jesus, I look forward to celebrating your birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely! Its great to get into the festive spirit and I might add you are doing it in some style! :)

    I hope you got back safely on Sunday, from what I hear the lid fell off the icing sugar pot again in England over the weekend. My parents were lucky they were on the first London flight for 3 days out of a nearly flooded LA this afternoon.
    Look forward to talking to you again soon,
    Safe trip back!

    ReplyDelete