I didn't quite realise I'd left this a whole a month..
I've practically done one Hausarbeit, with the next to complete, and just had my long-weekend trip for a wedding in Scotland.
This weekend, having only just travelled back this afternoon, is foremost in my mind. On top of being able to celebrate the marriage of two friends in the pretty little west-coast town of Largs, I was able to catch up with a few friends in Edinburgh and see Luke, who was playing at the wedding After two months of only electronic communication, actually properly seeing each other was brilliant. Skype and written text can never truly replace being with a person. Long distance relationships mean that the time you spend feels very - almost too - precious. There's little room for just an average evening, a greeting or goodbye that is not in some way significant, or sharing so much everyday ordinariness. But its better than no relationship, by far.
However, I should talk about the weekend generally, yes. Slept at my old flat (and other friends'), caught up with my old flatmate and a friend or two or more, got to know a few new people, was introduced to Dutch rap music, saw a new record in grinning from a groom, danced, saw Largs, had time with Luke, saw Romeo and Juliet, heard Scots again, went to my old church... that got a little more jumbled, but represents the weekend in a way.
I think I have realised that Edinburgh is comfortable, known, and safe in my head, while Berlin is somehow in a way disjointed and less sure. Not only in terms of a foreign culture and language. The geographical dispersion of friends, work and social life reflects the distance of isolation you can feel in such a large city when you live almost alone. Living as a two person flat, when you always seem to miss each other, makes 'home' much less of a community to relax in. And when you do meet with others, you'll need to take at least 30 minutes on the public transport to get there. I don't mean Berlin is not an amazing experience and an amazing city. I've realised how much your environment influences your lifestyle.Edinburgh is so much smaller, friends are around the corner, flatmates are around, university interweaves with the people who live in the flats near you, social life is provided in the student bubble... Maybe living as a three, by the end of this month, will change life here a little too.
Before my second term starts (April 11th - July 18th lectures) I'll be back in England for ten days in April, in the home town with mum and dad (and Luke!), then we go camping in Norfolk, and i'm meeting some Fletchers in Chelmsford too! For now, I'll get this next essay done, hopefully soon be able to choose courses for next term (Edinburgh are asking about next year), and right at the end, move flat.
For now (right now), my travelling has made me quite tired. This isn't the most polished entry - but I'm still thinking of you friends and relatives, and wanted to send a greeting and alls-well. Till soon.
Glad you had a good time at the wedding and back in Edinburgh!
ReplyDeleteYou'll enjoy Chemlsford I'm sure. If you get time, see if Luke can take you out to Hylands Park or the Writtle Village area. Its so lovely around there!
dutch rap music... *tries to imagine and fails*
ReplyDeleteglad to hear you had a nice trip back to the big island (as a German i met the other day called it). i've been having one of those weeks where i really miss people, so i'm quite jealous :p
xxx