(picture below: just a street near my flat, not amazing.. set the mood)
UNIVERSITY
Our last language course was spent reading a selection of our works to the captive level-below class, with drinks out afterwards. As exchange/foreign students, you have a lot in common that makes such classes into cosy communities. I'll miss that bunch. My other two courses closed quietly, but I can say I've enjoyed them. My semantics class had a few coursemates from last term, and was well taught by really willing-to-help teachers. My HU class (second language aquisition) has given me the inspiration and basis for my dissertation next year. The split between HU/FU days made this term a little trickier, to be honest. The HU is a very business-like an impressive university, but this also made the environment a little colder, and I didn't manage to make particular friendships on my course there. So three days a week there, feeling a bit alone was probably wearing, to say the least. The FU feels somehow more of a community, and I'm definitely going to miss some coursemates there. Mixed meomories, lots learnt.
NOT UNIVERSITY
(picture right: picnic with a french friend, I suggested baguette..)
I've spent the last few minutes trying to sum up the friendships and experiences in Berlin, faith in God and other such "life" topics, that in fact are far better simply coming out in small stories every now and again. So I'll leave that as it is, another time. I'll miss the friendships I've been blessed with here, but I'm not leaving yet!
DOCTORS
I have also taken part in the German health system. After a week and a half, a friend of mine got tired with my right-ear-deafness and persuaded me to go to the doctors. A HNO Doctor (Hals-Nasen-Ohren: Throat-nose-ear) was the type I wanted, as you go straight to the specialist here. It was absolutely fine, 10euros to pay once for a quartal (the 3 months), and that includes access to any doctors. I went to the drop in session, and it was a simple matter of rinsing my ear out, and its much better. And its now too loud in my room to sleep, even with ear plugs. Conquered one problem, created another, but at least its amusingly ironic.
PLANS
I'm looking forward to my free(r) time, and am intending on handing everything in on Thursday, then its just a matter of red tape in uni. We're planning a few trips, lunches out, evenings at mine, and a picnic this Sunday, after a few morning skypes, and going to my last church service. Saturday will involve a bit of baking and foody prep! Flapjacks, the old faithful, I do love it. I still have golden syrup!
CULTURE CLASHES
As a final diverging note, inspired from flapjack, can you clearly answer the following questions:
a) what exactly IS golden syrup?
b) what is treacle then?
Wikipedia gives answers, but I'm still just as confused.
There are alot of funny differences here, in trivial and not so tirival ways. Apparently, I was recently told we (Brits) only eat white bread, as we have an appalling lack of proper dark bread. In return, the Germans have an appalling lack of proper black tea. The rest of Europe sees monolingualism as an impossible eccentricity, while much of (my current) Britian sees a second language as exotic. Berlin takes punk music and parenthood hand in hand without batting an eye (second hand observation). The weather is warmer, meaning that the "overcast" day was my perfect refreshing breeze. I'm looking forward to my return, like so many do when so long away. There are some near and dear who I'm definitely looking forward to seeing. I'm not sure how long I'll appreciate the weather though..
If I blog again, I might blog to a specific theme. Hopefully not in a boring way. Right, time to go..
Till soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment