Visitation number two has been and gone, an
d a week of uni wrapping up. I've managed to enjoy the city with mum and dad and practice my fairly rough-shod hosting skills, and I once more possess a camera, and love using it. Early christmas pressie! Uni this week was a bit aaargmaraghahh, but its going steady at the mo. It sometimes feels a little like a never-ending hamster wheel by the end of the day, but I can remind myself of a bigger aim than reading wordy linguistic texts in German.
You always have to be shown a bit of the centre if you come to Berlin. At least one or two of the well known spots - Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag, Museumsinsel, Unter den Linden, Gedaechtniskirche.. we went for Unter den Linden area on the first day, in which I realised I had no clue where to eat out, because I just don't really. I was very glad to have discovered with Luke that the little unnassuming organic place over the road is actually brilliant (a little like Victor Hugo's of Edinburgh, last year's nice deli below me, but more relaxed and friendly). To make it even better, I discovered they give 5% Kiezrabbat (discount for locals).
Sunday with mum and dad panned out quite well. Germany, particularly Berlin, particularly Prenzlauerberg, does weekend breakfast very well. They generally serve buffet breakfasts 10-16Uhr, German style bread and cheese and hams and cereals and joghurts and fruits.... so of course we started with one of them. Then off to the Mauerpark Flohmarkt, which was typically crammed with both goods and people. We took a wander along to Zionskirche (near the foody street Kastanienallee), where we were (as time has moved on) unexpectedly met with a lovely late sun view of Berlin, from the top of the tower. I had no clue that was there, so an unexpected delight.
University, is ok, German is the hardest bit I think. Its quite a slog to get thorough all the vocab even before I get to the subject matter of semiotics or methodology. Otherwise..I chatted to one of my leturers about Hausarbeit topics, which was a brilliant help - despite not being loads closer to a topic, he said to to my presentation work first, so, thats going.. God knows what he is doing, I'll make sure I give it a go. Met up with the church plant bunch on Wednesday evening, which was great to see them again and have a bit of time praying together.
Maybe a quick trip to some German Weinachtsmaerkte tomorrow, see whats on offer there, the first weekend of opening (though they started Monday). Well, I kind of know, stollen and crepes and fruit in chocolate and christmas decorations, but you know what I mean!
The terrorist alert means theres plenty of police about, and the parliament is closed, and it might have had something to do with the disruption of the ring line, but I'm not too fussed. I'll let the government do its job, and I'm still just doing normal stuff. Hopefully Weinachtsmarkt events won't be ruined for all the stall people! Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will look after itself.
Oh, and I have to talk about THE WEATHER, as its changing and so has to be mentioned. I am British. There is a graph that shows me nicely how the min and max temperatures trundle happily to well below zero over the next couple of weeks (see picture). My weather widget learnt the new sign of an igloo probably signifying the -7c to -10c temperature range for Sunday. Its reconsidered its estimate now to -3 to -8, which apparently doesn't deserve such a sign. I'm very happy to have a heating inclusive rent :) The first snow has settled very faintly today! Walked home in crisp cold with this through my earphone (thank you dad!). Till later, take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment