Hello after possibly three weeks.
I've taken various approaches to my uni work, tried to work out what I should be doing, and how to learn all this academic German, and (tried to) work extra before Luke came to visit. We saw a few tourist things possibly of interest to you... As he's just left, theres no pesky person to distract from writing this blog (though he was possibly going to co-write an edition).
University life has been a little blurred, but taking it a step at a time. I visited an exhibition by Stefan Koppelkamm in the Muesum for Communication for my cultural language course (called Ortzeit/Localtime) which was good. He took pictures of East Germany post reunification, and about 12 years later re-photographed the same places. We did a short presentation on this in German, which wasn't too pressured as that class is all German-as-foreign-language learners.
I've chosen my presentations for my English language courses: aspects of language in Scotland for one , and linguistic typology in my other. These areas will probably become the area I do my two Hausarbeits in. The other assesments are German exams (essay style) on lingustics, so I really need to develop my academic vocab and writing. The texts are a good challenge to read.
VISITORS
I met Rachel on Monday eve, which was great. We went to a recommended italian, which wasn't particularly pretty, but did do very good and very cheap italian. A good post-food walk and chat too. My official first visitor!
Having Luke here was brilliant, he stayed a week. I did some stuff in uni and he got to explore whatever he fancied at points, and we had a good chunk of time together too. We went to the Weinerei with coursemates one eve, and celebrated bonfire night with Claire and some friends, as well as going to the JKB church. The latter two were principally in German, which tested my translation skills, and Luke had an impressive go at following conversation/participating!
We also cycled round Tempelhof park/old airport grounds. The fact I'd never been before was particularly evident at the point we we cycled down past muddy allotments with two Westie type dogs snapping at our jeans, to find a dead end with a fence, with Tempelhof joggers passing by on the other side. We got there eventually! And it was very beautiful.
We also went to Potsdam, the place of important international conferences, which is quite tourist geared but pretty, lots of shops and cafes and very impressive gardens and stately homes to wander round. Unfortunately I can't upload pictures as I managed to leave my camera at the Potsdam train station - I won't see it again, but I'll move on from that. I live and learn. I'd just told Luke how my brother had managed to miss a train or two in his time, I think I needed a comeuppance. Luke had his SLR so we've got a few pics. Oh, and from the SLR I learnt I might need reading glasses - I couldn't read the numbers on the screen.
Luke left safe yesterday, and I'll be seeing him for the new year. Thank God for Skype.
Mum and dad are here in a week, so not too long till my next visitors!
This is probably enough for one entry. Till later.
Sounds like you had a good time with Luke coming to visit! And I hope you have a nice time when your parents visit.
ReplyDeleteI think I should echo that, where would we be these days without skype?!?
Enjoy your weekend! :)